Los Fresnos CISD is prepared to begin the process of transitioning students whose parents choose to send their children to school to participate in an On-Campus (Face-to-Face) learning environment in delayed start dates that begin Monday, Oct 5.
Parents who choose to keep children in Remote Learning may continue to do so throughout the 2020-2021 school year.
"We delayed the start of the school year to allow the mitigation measures implemented at the county and state level to take effect," Superintendent Gonzalo Salazar said. "The delayed start to the school year afforded the administration the opportunity to monitor the rate of infections in our area and consult with the county health authority to identify measures to create pandemic resilient teaching and learning spaces."
Los Fresnos CISD made a decision to a "Start Safe to Finish Strong" campaign in 2020-2021 and began the school year with four weeks of remote learning Sept. 8.
"Throughout the period of this pandemic, Remote Learning has provided a mechanism to continue the delivery of instruction," Salazar said. "Many parents have communicated that the Remote Learning experience has been a positive one for their households and many of our students are thriving in this environment.
"However, we recognize that children have different learning styles and not all students thrive in the Remote Learning environment. We firmly believe that our teachers are the best resource available to students and there are students who would benefit from a return to the on-campus, face-to-face instruction."
Los Fresnos CISD has applied for a waiver for the four additional weeks of remote learning October 5-30. The Texas Education Agency requires districts to use this four-week period to transition students whose parents choose the on-campus experience for their children.
The transition plan by date is as follows:
Monday, Oct. 5
- Students who participate in adaptive learning or behavior units may return to campus.
- Students in grades 7 through 12 participating in fine arts and athletics may begin meeting before and after school but must abide by UIL guidelines.
- Last day for meal deliveries by school bus to neighborhoods. Curbside meals will continue at all 14 campuses starting Monday, October 12. Breakfast and lunch meal packets will be distributed from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the school bus drop-off location at each campus. Student name, grade, and ID number will be required for Curbside Meals pickups. The students are not required to be in the vehicle.
- Transportation services begin.
- Grades 6, 9, and 11: Students who opted for Hybrid (Maroon/Gold) instruction in these grades may return to campus on a Maroon/Gold schedule.
- These students will be entering their respective campuses for the first time and having this time with them will allow for an orientation period and the proper implementation of safety measures.
- Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten: Students may be able to return to full-time On-Campus Learning
- Much of the learning in these grade levels involves school readiness that is best achieved on campus.
- Bringing these students to campus first also allows for an orientation period before other students return.
- This procedure also allows parents to drop off their children at school for the first time.
- Campuses will create a staggered schedule for the first two days after which time visitors to the school will be limited.
Monday, Oct. 19
- Grades 1 and 2: Students who opted for On-Campus instruction return.
- Grades 3 and 7: Students return to campus on a Hybrid (Maroon/Gold) schedule.
- Grades 3 to 8: Students who opted for On-Campus instruction return.
Monday, Oct. 26
- Grades 4, 5, 8, 10, and 12: Students return to campus on a Hybrid (Maroon/Gold) schedule.
Parents choosing On-Campus instruction for their children can rest assured that Los Fresnos CISD has taken precautions to minimize risk to students and staff. The protocols are outlined in the "Start Safe to Finish Strong" page of the Los Fresnos CISD website located at www.lfcisd.net.
Parents are urged to adhere to the guidelines of local health authorities.
On-Campus Instruction Return-to-Campus Summary (all start dates fall on Mondays)
- Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten: On-Campus Oct. 12
- Grades 1 and 2: On-Campus Oct. 19
- Grade 3: Hybrid and On-Campus Oct. 19
- Grade 4: On-Campus Oct. 19; Hybrid Oct. 26
- Grade 5: On-Campus Oct. 19; Hybrid Oct. 26
- Grade 6: Hybrid Oct. 12; On-Campus Oct. 19
- Grade 7: Hybrid and On-Campus Oct. 19
- Grade 8: On-Campus Oct. 19; Hybrid Oct. 26
- Grade 9: Hybrid (all students) Oct. 12
- Grade 10: Hybrid (all students) Oct. 26
- Grade 11: Hybrid (all students) Oct. 12
- Grade 12: Hybrid (all students) Oct. 26