History of Olmito ISD and its consolidation into Los Fresnos CISD

 

School History

Olmito Common School District No. 9
  • 1910: First school built near the site of former Parker Land Office Building
  • 1919: Three-room school built
  • 1927: School board accepts petition by a majority of taxpayers for creation of a school district
Olmito Independent School District
  • 1928: Cameron County commissioners approve a petition to establish Olmito Independent School District; bonds of $8,000 approved for construction of an adequate building for elementary and high school students; the three-room building was moved to the Naranja Vista section of Olmito and became First Ward School; first trustees elected were Thomas Steel, H.O. Stroman, C.H. Pinkley, and Sam Houghston
  • 1931: Because of poor economic conditions, high school instruction was discontinued; high school students were transported by bus – first to Brownsville and in later years to San Benito and Port Isabel
  • 1938: First Ward School was sold and all elementary school children were brought to one building
  • July 27, 1970: Cameron County Commissioners approve elections by voters in Olmito ISD and Los Fresnos ISD for consolidation; the district hereinafter was known as Los Fresnos Consolidated Independent School District
  • Sept. 1, 1970: Los Fresnos CISD consolidation effective date
Additions to Campus
  • Addition 1: 1978
  • Addition 2: 1996
  • Addition 3: 2007
School principals since joining Los Fresnos CISD
  • 1970-1979: Alfredo Villareal
  • 1979-1992: Joe Ceballos
  • 1993-1995: Bertha Zamora
  • 1995-2002: Antoinette Connaughton
  • 2002: Sherryl Loya
  • 2002-2007: Ada Amaro
  • 2007-2009: Jeaneva Scoville
  • 2009-2016: Yliana Gonzalez
  • 2016-present: Pablo Leal