2022-23 Dual Language Application Process Information
2022-23 Los Fresnos Dual Language Academy
Application Process for English Speakers
Two-Way Dual Language Academy Description:
Two -Way Dual Language is an educational model in which both native English speakers and native speakers of another language receive instruction together in both languages to promote second language acquisition and high academic achievement for all students. Language learning takes place primarily through content instruction. Linguistic proficiency in both languages occurs as students develop their knowledge of subject matter through performing academic tasks.
Note: Current enrolled Pre-K bilingual students will transition into the Dual Language Academy in 2022 Fall semester.
The following is the application process for parents of English speakers interested in having their child participate in the 2022 - 2023 Dual Language Academy at Los Fresnos CISD.
Procedures for Entering the Dual Language Academy
To enter the Dual Language Academy in Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten:
- Parent/guardian completes, signs, dates, and submits Dual Language Academy Application online. Once you have submitted an application, you will be contacted to schedule an appointment for an oral language proficiency test.
- The student is individually administered an oral language proficiency test in English. The parent/guardian will not be present during testing, however, the results of the test will be shared with the parent/guardian.
- The student must score at the Fluent Speaker proficiency level to be placed on the qualified list. Parents will be notified of the selection results no later than June 15, 2022.
- If more students qualify as Fluent Speakers than there is space available in the Dual Language Academy, the student will be placed on a waiting list.
- Students on the waiting list may enter the Dual Language Academy during the first semester of pre-kindergarten and kindergarten if space becomes available.
- In order to receive the maximum benefit from two-way instruction, students should remain in the Dual Language Academy throughout the elementary grades.