Physical and Mental Health
Physical and Mental Health Resources
Parents and students in need of assistance with physical and mental health concerns may contact the following campus and community resources:
- The District’s Health Service Coordinator (Nurse), Diana Davis, at 956-254-5118.
- The District’s Advance Academics/Counselor Director, Sandra Ruiz at 956-254-5096.
- The local public health authority, Arturo Rodriguez MPH, at 956-542-3437, 1031 E. Levee 2nd Floor, Brownsville, TX 78520.
- The local mental health authority, Tropical Texas Behavioral Health, which may be contacted at 1901 S. 24th Ave, Edinburg, TX 78540, Crisis Phone 877-289-7199; Main Phone 956-289-7000.
Policies and Procedures that Promote Student Physical and Mental Health
The district has adopted board policies that promote student physical and mental health. (LOCAL) policies on the topics below can be found in the district’s policy manual, available at https://pol.tasb.org/Home/Index/257
Wellness and Health Services: FFA
- Physical Examinations: FFAA
- Immunizations: FFAB
- Medical Treatment: FFAC
- Communicable Diseases: FFAD
- School-Based Health Centers: FFAE
- Care Plans: FFAF
- Crisis Intervention: FFB
- Trauma-informed Care: FFBA
- Student Support Services: FFC
- Student Safety: FFF
- Child Abuse and Neglect: FFG
- Freedom from Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation: FFH
- Freedom from Bullying: FFI
In addition, the District Improvement Plan details the district’s strategies to improve student performance through evidence-based practices that address physical and mental health. The district has developed administrative procedures as necessary to implement the above policies and plans.