Construction Contract for LFU Safe Room/Gym Approved

Construction Contract for Safe Room/Gym for LFU Approved
Posted on 03/05/2014
This is the image for the news article titled Construction Contract for Safe Room/Gym for LFU ApprovedThe next step toward the start of construction for the Los Fresnos United Gymnasium/Community Safe Room was approved by Los Fresnos CISD Board of Trustees.

Trustees awarded a construction contract to D. Wilson Construction Co., which offered the best value to the district after competitive sealed proposals were opened.

Under FEMA guidelines, the federal government pays 75 percent of the Safe Room, while the school district pays the remaining 25 percent, and the cost of converting the interior into a gymnasium.

The 20,000-square-foot domed-shaped facility will be built at the southwest corner of LFU, west of the current gym and south of the new locker rooms under construction.

The Community Safe Room will be used for area residents in county-declared emergencies. When not in use as a Safe Room, the facility will serve as a 1,600-seat competition gymnasium and multi-purpose center for Los Fresnos United as the school continues its expansion.

In November, trustees approved plans submitted by the firm Gomez, Mendez, Saenz that required approval of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
 
Construction is expected to begin in April and be completed within 15-18 months. Federal and district approvals are needed after completion of construction before the facility can be occupied.

Construction began in September on a new athletic locker rooms, a band hall/fine arts facility, and parking areas.

The locker rooms, which include an athletic training room, are under construction adjacent to the locker rooms in the current facility. The new band hall/fine arts building is under construction at the northwest corner of campus. A new parking area will be built between the two new facilities, and an upgrade to the campus chiller plant is also scheduled.

Also planned is a two-story classroom building to be built between the current building and the new parking lot. A construction contract is expected to be awarded later this year.

Upon completion of all phases of construction, the Los Fresnos United campus is anticipated to house both ninth and tenth grade students by the fall of 2016.
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.